High Intensity Training Explained

Drew Baye is a leading authority on exercise physiology, has extensive experience training clients one on one, and is the author of the world’s most popular high intensity training blog. Drew has also had the opportunity to meet and learn from the some of the most knowledgeable people on the planet regarding exercise, including Nautilus inventor Arthur Jones, Ellington Darden, Ken Hutchins, Jim Flanagan, Joe Mullen, John Little, Greg Anderson, Doug McGuff, Ryan Hall and others.

Drew currently lives and trains clients in Altamonte Springs, FL and is nearing completion of his first book.

In This Video, Drew Speaks On:

• How to Tell How Often to Workout
  • The Different Types of Plateaus, and How to Get Over Them
  • How to Find the Minimum Amount of Training Needed to Produce the Desired Result
  • What Exercise is Best to Isolate Specific Muscles
  • How to Find The Perfect Amount of Weight to Lift
  • How to Put Your Exercises in the Right Order

Visit Drew Baye at Baye.com

Other Posts Featuring Drew Baye:

Post notes and view further discussion of this speech on the forum.

1. Nicky says:

This is an absolutely phenomenal talk. I have been putting a lot of time into researching HIT the past few months and was amazed at how much I still learned from this talk.

Baye presents the ideas perfectly; he manages to cover the big picture and many details in a pretty short amount of time.

This talk is seriously unique. People are going to really benefit by taking the time to watch.

Great job Drew and Anthony.

-Nicky

2. Joe says:

when drew said women were disgusted by the bodybuilding guys in magazines i could not stop laughing… made my day.

3. Dasani says:

So much phenomenal information! Drew Baye has an amazing ability to convey such a complex topic with clarity and ease. Almost all of the questions and concerns I’ve had with my training were answered.

4. Wade says:

This talk is great. I’ve been doing hour and a half workouts 4 days a week and have recently plateaued. I know if Dream suggests this guy’s opinion is one of the greatest he’s heard, it has to be valid but I still find myself skeptical that I can start moving up again using only 6 or 7 workouts. However, I will take his advice and see if I can start moving up again. Thanks Drew

5. Kevin says:

Baye rules. Other great sources for Hit are Mike Mentzer “Heavy Duty” Dr. Doug McGuff “Body By Science”. I personally use John Littles “Max Contraction Training” (also know as Static contraction). Bayes got a book coming out and I cant wait to read it.

6. Dream says:

I believe Drew was actually a major help in the research and citations used to back Body by Science (should be in the acknowledgments if I remember correctly).

Drew was actually mentioned in published work by Arthur Jones as well- long, long ago ha.

-Dream

7. Roy says:

Hey there, i loved this speech :D
    I have a question, what is your opinion about less mills bodypump?
    Is it a good workout or is it bullshit ?

Greeting Roy

8. Rob says:

fantastic information from Drew. As someone who followed conventional (High Volume 4-5 days a week) my switch to HIT (Like Drew recommends) last year has been phenomenal. In short I have made more gains in 6 months then I had in the last 2 years.

9. statisticool says:

Great message Drew!!

10. mark says:

RE: Safety issues most HIT trainers recommend: Isn’t breath-holding, teeth-clenching, etc., a part of our ‘fight or flight’ full effort? Is the possible downside of these phenomena a real issue for most trainees?

11. Dodger/Hshudo says:

no clenching your teeth is a personality thing. I have never engaged in that, but some people do. My Gf whole family does so maybe its genetic.

No one is holding there breath in a “fight or flight” siltation. If i am running i am breathing. Or i would only make it maybe 100 ft if i was sprinting.

12. JEFF says:

This guys a beast!

13. A says:

looks like we cant watch the videos anymore, they’ve gone on private for users who arent vimeo plus users

• Dream says:

I’m not logged into Vimeo and using Google Chrome – everything is working fine, as others have reported. I recommend clearing the video cache in your browser, this usually does the trick. Otherwise try a different browser. If that does not solve the problem please let me know so we can contact Vimeo support.

thanks

14. gert says:

Maybe I missed it but how much sets should you do per exercise?

great talk btw.

15. Drew Baye says:

Thanks for the positive feedback, I’m glad everybody got something out of the presentation.

As for breath holding, gritting the teeth, etc., not all HIT trainers discourage this, and the ones who do have different reasons for it. The main reason to avoid breath holding (val salvas maneuver, actually) is risk of exercise induced headache. This is more of an issue with slower reps, since the tendency is for people to perform val salva during the lifting movement, the longer the lifting phase the longer the breath holding, the bigger the possibility of EIH. This was more of a problem with SuperSlow (10 seconds lifting, 10 lowering) than with other repetition methods, possibly due to the VERY long lifting movement.

Gritting the teeth, gripping, etc. is more of a nervous system and concentration thing. Some believe doing so distracts from intensity of contraction in the target muscles, others don’t think it’s a big deal, and some recommend gripping hard as a way of creating “radiant tension” gripping harder causes other muscles in the upper arms, shoulders, etc. to contract harder. I don’t believe gripping is a problem for most people. If you AREN’T gripping hard during pulling exercises, you’re probably not using enough weight.

The exceptions are people with high blood pressure – for them gripping might be problematic during some exercises involving large muscle groups because gripping hard can cause BP to increase more than it would from the exercise alone.

If anybody has any questions about any of the material in the video feel free to e-mail me.

16. Brian says:

The man has some useful information to teach, however he is completely blinded by his believes as well. His anti vegetarian propaganda and obsession with meat will be his downfall spiritually and physically.

unfortunately, until you pay for it and feel the pain, you will not learn anything.

17. Dan says:

So, if my fitness is geared mainly towards biking and playing Ultimate [Frisbee], both of which demand strong legs and would rather less weight elsewhere on my body, since “the ones you do earlier, those muscle groups are going to progress a little bit faster,” (1:23:10) then it would be to my advantage to always do the squat/leg press one first, and then move the other 4 around based on which ones I did the worst on the previous, yes?

Topics: